School Details - Leeds
About the school
The school is based in the centre of Leeds, a vibrant city at the heart of England. It is housed in a beautiful Georgian building just five minutes from the shopping area and less than five minutes to the train station and to the Headrow, where all the main bus routes stop. There are as well many excellent cafes and sandwich shops offering a range of hot & cold food and drinks, within a short distance from the school.
Facilities include a computer room with free broadband internet access, English language learning sites for self-study on all its computers, a class-set of computer tablets for multimedia lessons, a student lounge with comfortable sofas to relax in between classes and a dedicated self-access centre with graded-readers/DVD/CD lending library.
About the city:
Leeds is a city in, and metropolitan borough of, West Yorkshire. The entire city has a population of 800,000 people. Leeds is the UK's largest centre for business, legal, and financial services outside London. Leeds has a beautiful city centre which is complemented by stunning local countryside, including the beautiful Yorkshire Dales, which lie within easy reach. The city is flourishing as a cultural centre, and offers a fantastic lifestyle and comparative affordability which make it the ideal location to live and learn.
By night, Leeds really comes alive with its wide array of restaurants, bars, clubs and other entertainment. There is a broad range of cultural attractions, including renowned theatre, opera and ballet companies.
How to get there
Leeds boasts a thriving international airport and one of the busiest train stations outside the capital. London is just two hours away by train or 40 minutes if you fly. Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dublin are all an hour or less by plane.
CELTA is a pre-service course giving you a thorough grounding in all aspects of teaching the English language to adults. One of the most widely taken qualifications of its kind, thousands of people each year choose CELTA to open up a world of exciting English language teaching opportunities. Part of the University of Cambridge and validated by Cambridge English Language Assessment, the Cambridge CELTA course is recognised and accepted by teaching institutions worldwide.
You will cover five main topics as part of your CELTA course, including:
- learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- language analysis and awareness
- language skills: reading, listening, speaking, and writing
- planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- developing teaching skills and professionalism
Throughout the course you will also attend a variety of sessions and workshops that cover:
- classroom management skills
- lesson planning
- understanding the contexts within which adults learn English
- understanding students� motivations, and the roles of both the teacher and the learner
- language analysis
- teaching methodology, ideas, and techniques applicable to ESOL/EFL teaching
- Be at least 18 (it is generally recommended that candidates should be aged 20 or over, but candidates aged between 18 and 20 can be accepted at the centre�s discretion)
- Have an awareness of language and a competence in both written and spoken English, which will enable them to undertake the course and prepare for teaching a range of levels (C2 on the CEFR)
- Have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to complete successfully the written assignments and the assessment of practical teaching
Online (at a time that suits you, for 4 – 6 hours a week) and face-to-face teaching practice on Tuesday evenings.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.