School Details - Lima
We provide a range of English language courses for individuals and companies and are the only school in Peru approved to teach the Cambridge CELTA, the world's most recognized initial qualification for teaching English as a foreign language.
Complete your Cambridge English CELTA certificate in the heart of South America. Gain freedom to travel the world, earn an excellent income and experience new and exotic cultures by teaching English as a foreign language overseas. In a matter of weeks, you can embark upon an international career as a highly trained English language teaching professional with an internationally recognized qualification.
Why study a CELTA in Peru?
Peru has experienced profound levels of economic growth in recent years while maintaining its low cost of living. As the economy has grown, so has the hunger for learning English, making it a country that is overflowing with English teaching opportunities. But the boundless supply of TEFL jobs isn’t the only reason English teachers are flocking to this Latin American country.
Peru is home to one of the world’s most famous archeological wonders, Machu Picchu. It’s a nation rich in ancient history, mountains, jungles, deserts and thousands of miles of Pacific coastline. Some people come for the world-class surfing. Others for Lima’s succulent cuisine. And yet others come to drink in the spiritual and archeological mysteries of the Incas, high in the Andes Mountains.
Most tourists only devote one week to exploring this gorgeous country, but TEFL professionals will immerse themselves in the Peruvian way of life, which is just as diverse in its history and culture as it is in its geography.
Lima, Peru’s capital is at the center of it all with a bustling populace of 8.5 million people. Here, you’ll find the richest of the rich living side by side with the poorest of the poor – from crumbling buildings and poverty-stricken barrios, to ornate Spanish colonial buildings and pre-colonial ruins, to opulent golf courses and lavish malls.
Lima’s shopping, restaurants, theatres and energetic nightlife will impress you. If you want to dance salsa, reggae, hop-hip, or the latest club music, you’ll find it here. The boutiques of Miraflores and the ultra-modern Jockey Plaza mall provide endless opportunities to shop-till-you-drop for luxurious brands, rustic Andean crafts, books, handcrafted jewelry and more.
As a focal point for Spanish colonial conquest, the Spanish spoken in Peru is very clear, making Lima an ideal choice for anyone looking to hone their Spanish language skills while soaking up the beaches, tasty restaurants and sun. Spain also left behind numerous examples of colorful and sprawling colonial architecture, providing the perfect backdrop for learning one of the world’s most widely spoken languages.
But if you ask Peruvians what they love most about Lima, they’ll rattle off an exhaustive list of gourmet restaurants that will leave your mouth watering in expectation. Lima’s reputation as the Gastronomical Capital of Latin America is definitely a source of pride. In fact, savvy foodies and travellers come from all over the world just to sample Lima’s 5-star cuisine. And if it’s summertime, they’ll tell you to go directly to the beach for a tangy pisco sour and a succulent dish of ceviche, which is always best when served with ample amounts of sunshine and the sounds of seagulls and crashing waves.
CELTA stands for Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults and is the industry standard English language teaching certificate. It is accepted by employers worldwide and is accredited and externally moderated by Cambridge English, part of the University of Cambridge. The CELTA is the most recognised route into the English language teaching profession for people with little or no experience of teaching English as a foreign language.
What a CELTA gives you:
- 120 hours of contact time with internationally experienced and Cambridge English-approved trainers
- 6 hours of assessed teaching practice experience
- 6 hours of observations of experienced English language teaching (ELT) professionals
- Assisted lesson planning support, constructive feedback on the lessons that you teach and tutorial support
- Participation in highly practical input sessions focused on all aspects of teaching English as a second language
The course enables you to:
- Acquire essential subject knowledge and familiarity with the principles of effective teaching
- Acquire a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
- Demonstrate your ability to apply your learning in a real teaching context
- Successfully begin working in a variety of teaching English language teaching (ELT) contexts around the world upon course completion
The syllabus consists of five units of learning that deal with specific topic areas in the teaching of ESOL.
Unit 1 Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
Unit 2 Language analysis and awareness
Unit 3 Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
Unit 4 Planning and resources
Unit 5 Developing teaching skills and professionalism
Monday to Friday from 9 am to 6 pm
Help for Jobs
We run a job search session during the course and offer help in this area.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.