School Details - London Holborn
The centre has been delivering language related courses for over 60 years. They have a reputation for quality, excellent customer service, and attention to detail, and we pride ourselves on being able to meet the individual needs of students and trainees.
The school is located in the heart of upmarket Bloomsbury, central London, minutes away from Holborn and Tottenham Court Road stations. Our historic buildings are full of character, light-filled and packed with the latest technology. They provide a very welcoming and comfortable learning environment.
Facilities for trainees include a dedicated computer and resource room, including a fully stocked library of teacher training resources. There is also free Wi-Fi throughout, a cafe, and a canteen serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Trainees will learn to teach using up to date technology, while also learning to teach with no technology at all, to equip them for any teaching scenario. Our CELTA course is delivered by very experienced teacher trainers, who are highly skilled and incredibly passionate about language learning.
The CELTA is a world recognised, level 5 qualification, designed for those with little or no previous teaching experience who want to teach English as a second or other language. The course aims to equip trainees with all the fundamental skills needed to go straight into the classroom, either in the UK or overseas.
- The course is a mixture of practice & theory
- 120 contact hours
- 6 hours of assessed teaching practice for each trainee
- 6 hours of observation of experienced teachers
- A minimum of 80 additional learning hours for reading, research, assignment writing and lesson preparation
The course comprises the following areas:
Input sessions - you will attend lessons on methodology and practice given by our tutors to the whole group of trainees. These will equip you with theoretical and practical knowledge and ideas to inform and plan your lessons.
Teaching practice (TP) - you will teach for a total of six hours, working with classes at two or three levels of ability. This will involve the planning and delivery of lessons observed by your TP tutor and colleagues, which will be immediately followed by a written self-evaluation, and feedback and comments from you, your tutor and colleagues.
Assignments - you will complete four written assignments of 750-1000 words.
Observations - you will watch full-hour lessons taught by experienced teachers while you take notes on methodology and practice.
There is no final examination for the CELTA course. Assessment is continuous (it will take place throughout the course) and integrated (any one assessed component can cover a number of syllabus topics and all components contribute to the grade). You will be assessed through two components: Teaching Practice and Written Assignments. You must pass both parts to gain the certificate.
Your assignments will focus on the following:
- Analysing and responding to learner needs
- Analysing language for teaching purposes
- Teaching language skills
- Reflecting on classroom teaching
To do the course you will need:
- English at C2/C1
- Minimum age 18
- A standard of education that is required for entry into higher education
- The potential to become an effective English Language Teacher
- The ability to complete assignments and assessments
- The ability to research and understand grammar
- Adequate competence in written and spoken English
Help for Jobs
The centre provides guidance on finding jobs and the broad range of career opportunities and specialisations that exist within ELT. In addition, the school is part of Cambridge Education group, which employs 400 English language teachers in the UK, and many more in North America. They recruit strong candidates directly from their CELTA courses to work in their junior summer programmes and year round adult schools, and once you're 'part of the family', there are numerous career paths for English language teachers. They also have relationships with language schools in Italy and Spain, with whom they can assist job placement.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you're still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now; you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.