School Details - London Covent Garden
This is an excellent school located in Covent Garden, but positioned within walking distance of four tube stations; Tottenham Court Road Station, Holborn Station, Leicester Square Station. The administration staff and teachers are extremely friendly and always happy to answer your questions.
Not only are the courses of an extremely high standard, but the school itself is very special, with a very large computer room, free internet access and wide variety of electronic materials, a video room and language laboratory, library, bookshop, drinks areas, fully licensed bar and cafeteria...
The school, with over 150 schools worldwide, has a truly international reputation for quality and professionalism.
Over the last 50 years, the school has been at the forefront of teacher training in English language teaching. Many of the most widely used English language course books have also been written by the teachers of the school. During your course you will most likely feel the benefits of this love for language and love of learning for yourself.
The blended learning option includes face-to-face teaching as well as online CELTA training.
The online CELTA element of the course is assessed and moderated according to the same criteria as the full face-to-face course, and the course leads to full CELTA qualification.
The course runs over 13 weeks including an online orientation module lasting 6 hours that needs to be completed in week zero. The orientation module will orient you to the Virtual Learning Environment and will also get you thinking about aspects related to the learning and teaching of English.
Blended CELTA Teaching Practice
Teaching Practice (TP) is an important part of all teacher training courses. The face-to-face element of the Blended CELTA ensures trainees gain this valuable experience. Teaching Practice is conducted in groups, with each candidate teaching for a total of six hours, with peers observing. An experienced teacher trainer will give you feedback on each of your teaching practice sessions.
TP will start in Week 3 of the course. This is followed by TP feedback and supervised lesson planning (20.30 - 21.30). In addition, there is an orientation evening at the school in the week prior to the start of TP.
Teaching practice will have a group format with each candidate teaching for a total of 6 hours (spread over 8 occasions). When you are not teaching, you will watch your colleagues teach (peer observation) on a further 8 occasions. Candidates will continue to interact with the online environment during the teaching practice phases.
Online CELTA component
The online CELTA component includes interactive tasks, guided video observation and forum discussion. The aim is to develop effective, principled teaching methodologies. An advantage of the online CELTA component is the increased amount of time and support for you to reflect on and develop what you have learnt.
Benefits of the Blended CELTA
- The Blended CELTA is a great option if you don't have time to access the full face-to-face course. The online CELTA tasks and materials can be accessed at times that suit you, giving you the flexibility to fit your training around other commitments.
- Accommodation and travel costs are also reduced, making the course more affordable for some candidates.
- Candidates who are comfortable with and prefer online learning will now have an option to access CELTA through this medium.
Blended CELTA course structure
- The Blended CELTA is a 13-week face-to-face and online teacher training course comprising 120 hours' teaching time.
- Participants need to attend 16 evenings of teaching practice at the school in London (on Mondays and Wednesdays or Tuesdays and Thursdays, depending on start date).
- The rest of the CELTA course is delivered online.
- Course participants will have access to the material for a year from the start of the course.
- You can apply for the Blended CELTA at any time and, if offered a place, the offer is valid for up to a year after the date of interview.
Homestay with a local host located in zones 2 and 3: Standard single room with breakfast = �160 per week, Standard single room with breakfast & 4 evening meals = �185 per week, Standard single room with breakfast & 7 evening meals = �205
Student residence, self-catering in zone 1: Nido Kings Cross single ensuite = �375 per week (min. 4 weeks); Liberty House single ensuite room (shared kitchen) = �240 per week (min. 2 weeks), single studio room = �295 per week (min. 2 weeks).
17 evenings of teaching practice at the school in London on Mon & Wed from 6.30pm to 9.30pm + 2 evenings of classroom observation and orientation. The rest of the course is delivered online in 17 online sessions.
The school and the quality of trainers were excellent all round. The course was extremely demanding but very well taught and now over, a very rewarding experience indeed.
The school was extremely professional and the facilities were excellent. The course is very intensive, really tough and demanding. Our trainers made sure that we were all up to date with the amount of work we had. I am extremely impressed with their professionalism!
The school is very well equipped and all trainees are encouraged to use all the facilities available. The library has a huge number of books covering all TEFL related subjects. All staff are friendly and accommodating. The tutors were great and very supportive - and absolutely brilliant teachers themselves. It was a very positive experience all round. I never thought it was possible to learn this much in such a short period of time.
I thought that the school and the trainers were excellent and had lots to offer. The course was well planned and executed, it was helpful and informative. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to teach and the contact that you get with so many different people from lots of different cultures. I liked the fact that my trainers were very approachable and helpful.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.