School Details - Prague
Our school in Prague is an approved centre for the two most prestigious Cambridge teacher training qualifications: the CELTA and the DELTA.
The school is affiliated by a world organisation, which is widely recognised as one of the foremost independent language teaching and training organisations in the world.
The school's main premises are in the south of the city centre and five minutes' walk from Budejovicka metro station. Both the CELTA and the DELTA are held at the school's permanent premises.
The course is open to both native speakers of English and those whose first language is not English. In either case a high level of proficiency in written and spoken English is required. Candidates are usually university graduates. Participants must be at least 20 years old by the date of the start of the course and have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers of young learners and to complete successfully the written assignments and the assessment of practice teaching. Applicants for the YL Extension to CELTA must be holders of CELTA/TESOL certificates.
The course comprises approximately 50 hours of "input" (demonstration and discussion of teaching techniques plus language awareness activities); daily teaching practice; 6 hours observation of experienced teachers, 2 written assignments.
The course programme is designed to enable candidates to:
* transfer and apply their awareness of language and knowledge of the description of English from an adult to a young learner context
* gain an initial understanding of the context within which young learners learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and learner
* transfer, adapt and apply the principles of effective teaching from an adult to a young learner context
* transfer, adapt and apply basic skills for teaching English in the classroom from an adult to a young learner context
* gain an initial awareness of appropriate resources and materials for use with young learners of English for teaching, testing and for reference
* continue to identify opportunities for their future development as professionals in this field.
Teaching practice is assessed by the course tutors through continuous assessment. There are also two written assignments, with a practical orientation. Participants are required to keep a portfolio of their work throughout the course. Successful candidates will receive one grade: Pass.
Eligible candidates receive an Endorsement to their CELTA awards from Cambridge and a Progress Report.
Monday to Friday, 10:00 - 18:00 (Czech Republic Time)
The school was very good and the trainers were highly professional. I actually enjoyed everything: the tutors, the classmates, the school, even all the sleepless nights that I spent studying and preparing for school.
The school was great. The course was difficult but very rewarding. I learned so much. Prague is an amazing city. The culture and architecture are beautiful.
Very good school, with high quality trainers. Very welcoming and approachable.
The school is very good, our tutors were the best! Very patient, very committed, very organized, very helpful, very caring, very knowledgeable - really great teachers.
Absolutely amazing. Great school, fantastic tutors. Bravo. Very professional, effective. How did I learn so much in such a short space of time?
Help for Jobs
The course tutors and staff are able to provide a great deal of useful job and career advice during and after the CELTA course. These services include:
- 3 course hours dedicated to the job search, CV writing, and finding the right schools
- Personalized job hunting tutorial after the first week of the course
- Recommendations of "match" schools
- Up-to-date job board
- Continued email support for three months after course
While we try our best to assist trainees in their job search, it is our policy to never "guarantee" jobs to trainees. While many of our competitors advertise guaranteed job placement, we feel this is the wrong approach. Offering guaranteed job placement tends to attract less committed students, and it is in the best interests of the school and our students that each trainee is serious about the course. In addition, if someone does not complete the course requirements, we would not feel comfortable placing them in a position.
Based on previous experience, the vast majority of those who successfully complete the CELTA course have very little difficulty finding a job--and we are committed to preparing each student to find and land the job that is best for them.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.