School Details - Athens
Athens, Greece is an excellent place to start or develop your career as TEFL teacher as well as experience living in an exciting European city with so much to do in its present and see of its past.
The centre is situated in the heart of Athens and is easily accessible from every part of the city. It has been an Authorised Cambridge Teaching Awards Centre since 1993.
The centre is dedicated to teacher education and has a firm commitment to the pursuit of excellence in English Language Teaching through ensuring
- Excellence in tutors
- Excellence in resources
- Excellence in support systems
The centre is especially supportive to its trainees, and offers:
* Multilingual classes of adults where our candidates can observe and be observed while teaching.
* Excellent pre-, while- and post-course support through a DELTA course dedicated wiki with organised links, articles, and resources as well as sample assignments and videotaped seminars for preparation and revision.
* Free internet access and use of PCs for lesson preparation and materials design
The school also has an excellent library and resources, which have received high praise by all Cambridge Assessors.
The Cambridge CELTA is the most widely known course worldwide and with very good reason. CELTA holders are considered immediately employable in most locations and employers throughout the world mention this qualification in advertised posts more frequently than any other Certification.
The school offers a 140-hour course with two types of attendance options:
1. A 4-week course leading to this well-known Cambridge qualification. This course option is highly intensive and candidates need to commit themselves fully to ensure a successful outcome but it is also a highly rewarding course which leads trainee teachers to acquiring professional competence in the classroom very quickly. Sessions are every day for four weeks and from Day 1, methodology sessions are immediately followed by teaching as the CELTA is a very practical course with hands-on classroom teaching experience.
2. A part time course which is completed over 12 weeks with input sessions and Teaching Practice twice per week. This is a less intensive option allowing course participants more time although it should be understood that full commitment is necessary for them to be able to attend the course fully.
One great feature of the course at this particular centre is that only a limited number of course participants are accepted, a maximum of 12 on any individual course, so a lot of personal attention and support is available to each individual course participant.
The course covers all important aspects of the methodology of ELT and covers the Cambridge Syllabus in the most thorough manner.
Course tutors are experienced ELT professionals, all with qualifications such as the Cambridge DELTA and MA's in TEFL, TESOL, or Applied Linguistics. Most tutors are well known international ELT authors and presenters at ELT Conferences around the world.
The course takes place in the afternoons, as it has to revolve around Teaching Practice classes of adults who are able to come only in the evening.
A typical day starts at 09:00 and input sessions and assisted lesson preparation continue until 13:30
From 14:00 - 16: 00 trainees either observe or teach the classes at our centre and following this, they receive feedback and advice from their tutors
Individual furnished flats are available for 350 Euros a month (water, electricity & wifi charges included).
For a furnished room in a flat shared with one or two other students, the price is 300 Euros per room for one month (water, electricity & wifi charges included).
Monday to Friday, 10:00 - 19:30
Help for Jobs
The centre has excellent local and international connections with foreign language centres and job recruitment agencies worldwide. It has a very strong presence in all the social networking sites as well as an online website for its trainees to network with schools and leave their CV and samples of work. Special guidance is given on creating efficient resumes and contacting employers.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.