School Details - Playa Samara
The school offers courses in the beautiful beach town of Playa Samara. Samara Beach is located in one of the largest provinces of Costa Rica, Guanacaste whose lush countryside, beaches and rich culture make it an exceptional region for travel and study. Samara is a little beach village, perfect for soaking up beach life and sun in an unhurried atmosphere. It is located on the shore of an idyllic pale sand beach, fringed by coconut palms and home to wild horses, iguanas, lizards and monkeys.
The school has a beautiful campus and offers fully equipped air-conditioned rooms. On the weekends trainees can enjoy local surf contests and concerts, bonfires and a variety of delicious international restaurants. Trainees can also snorkel, take surf lessons, swim or boat to Isla (Island) Chora, go horseback riding, go for a run in the countryside, bike ride and bask in the sun on the white sand shores of Samara. Samara is also surrounded by a number of beautiful beaches, that can be a relaxing weekend visit or a surf safari destination. Trainees are able to plan their lessons and give classes in a professional, comfortable, and conducive- to- learning environment, while enjoying the beauty of their lush surroundings and local village life. Unlike other travel destinations in Costa Rica, most businesses and hotels in Samara are run by local Costa Ricans with whom you can practice Spanish if you would like.
The provider is accredited worldwide by the International TEFL Accreditation Council and offers a balanced program which focuses on key areas for being a successful TEFL / ESL teacher: teaching methodologies, second language acquisition, teaching techniques, learning styles, classroom management, classroom adaptation, culture in the classroom, effective lesson planning, creativity in the classroom, ESP (English for Specific Purposes) and more. Workshops in specific areas of interest are also an added element which trainees enjoy and benefit from. Trainees will also complete a portfolio to be used during the interview process and in their future EFL/ESL classroom.
All the instructors are highly qualified and enthusiastic. They have taught English in Costa Rica and around the globe allowing them draw from a variety of instruction and classroom experiences both in and out of Costa Rica. The core instructors all have Masters degrees and/or higher in Education and in teaching English as a second or foreign language with more than 10 years of professional teaching experience.
The teacher trainers use a variety of teaching techniques in the TEFL classroom and customize additional workshops to fit trainees specific needs. Trainees are given prep-time and aid in lesson planning as well as feedback pre and post observations. Trainees also team-teach, observe each other and give peer feedback. This gives trainees the chance to experience and try out new strategies and techniques in a supportive learning atmosphere, while gaining both skills and confidence as a new teacher.
The course consists of 160 hours of training and includes 6-10 hours of practice teaching with local EFL students. Trainees also participate in foreign language classes so as to fully understand the teaching/learning process and further empathize with their future EFL/ESL students.
The course includes: TEFL certification, full use of our facilities and a 10% discount on an intensive Spanish course either before or after the course. Trainees are also offered job placement assistance for teaching positions in Costa Rica and worldwide.
Education Minimum: at least 2 years of university
Minimum age: 20 years
Native to fluent English
Housing assistance is available for those interested and can be either in shared housing, independent living, in local hotels/hostels or with local families. You will be provided with accommodation information for no extra fee. All payments are made directly to the accommodations provider.
* Shared housing can be with other trainees in furnished houses or apartments. The prices for shared housing is from $300 - $500 per person for the month.
* Independent housing is in furnished houses or apartments and can run from $300-$800 for the month.
* Homestays with local families include two meals a day (breakfast and dinner), and laundry service. The family is chosen according to trainees' needs and costs between $120-$150 per week.
Help for Jobs
During our TEFL course, trainees will begin our job placement assistance week 2 of the course. We will assist you in making a teaching resume as well as begin to discuss your future job interests and set up interviews. We will get you up to the interview process then it is your responsibility to secure the teaching position during or after the interview. We have been fortunate to have a very high placement level and have a great professional relationship with many of the local school Directors.
The majority of the available job positions in Costa Rica are in the central valley. We work with a number of well-established language institutes and international schools that look forward to working with our TEFL graduates. We suggest the following steps to our students when searching for a TEFL job:
1) Identify the areas you would like to work in, be open to working in the central valley where the majority of the jobs are.
2) Contact potential employers (schools of interest) and copy us on the email. Send them your resume and a SHORT email.
3) Make the suggested changes to your resume as soon as possible. We will send your resume to potential employers as well and notify you of any updates.
4) Let us know your availability date. Some of you will want to begin working right away, others may wait. This process can take from one week to one month or longer depending on where and when you want to work.
5) Accept interviews as soon as possible. Get a feel for the way schools are run here and a feel for your options. Many schools now conduct SKYPE interviews which, can be done here at school.
6) If you want to work outside CR you will need to email us contact information for the schools of interest and we will send them a reference on your behalf. We will also give you leads and put you in touch with graduates that are working in that country (if available) and follow up to make sure you have been placed.
7) Contact our graduates who are currently working in Costa Rica and around the globe to get some first hand insight on the country and/or school of interest.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.