School Details - Mexico City
Mexico City, is one of the biggest and most cosmopolitan cities in the world. Surrounded by volcanic mountains, the city was the capital of the ancient Aztec Empire and a centre of Spanish colonial power. Ancient civilizations, indigenous and immigrant populations, a rich cultural heritage and modern living all combine in this dynamic city.
The school is located in a very pleasant central area surrounded by cafes and restaurants. You will never feel you are in the middle of one of the largest cities on earth. Mexico City caters for absolutely every taste and there are endless cultural and entertainment options to keep you busy.
The Blended Delta – a unique blend of face-to-face and distance learning, combining the best of both modes of education while reducing the overall course expense.
Working with a Delta trainer online minimizes the amount of time spent on-location, which reduces your time away from earning an income. Also, once you have built a solid theoretical foundation through your online and distance study, you are more capable of benefitting from the teaching practice component, which is essential to developing your skills as a teacher.
One of the drawbacks of the full-time face-to-face Delta (which is offered at most centre over 8 weeks), is the speed at which information is imparted, which is often too fast to take on board everything. The blended course allows for more time to prepare for the face-to-face component and maximize such preparation at a better pace.
The 6 weeks of online work focus on what would normally be part of any Delta course but with flexible tools to help you work towards your face-to-face work. And so, the 6 weeks of online work comprise of:
- Input (theories, methods and approaches, lesson planning, research and language analysis, etc).
- Diagnostic lesson – 'you will teach a Diagnostic Lesson' and Delta tutors will give you feedback before you engage in officially assessed Delta teaching.
- Experimental Practice – as part of Module 2, you will have to complete an 'Experimental Practice' lesson. This is not observed nor assessed by a Delta tutor, and is focused on an aspect of teaching, techniques or approach you've never tried out before. This is part of your 'Professional Development Assignment' (PDA).
- Reflection and Action ‐ As part of the PDA, you need to start working on your area of development and action points The RA (Reflection and Action), has 4 parts to it.
- LSA1 ‐ Background essay.
And so, as you can see, the 6 weeks of online work will:
- Help you prepare for the teaching you will have to do on the next 4-5 weeks on the face-to-face course,
- Facilitate the work prior to the intensive face to face component so that the following weeks are easier to get through
- a first degree
- an initial ELT qualification
- a minimum of 2 years full time (1200 hours) teaching experience of ELT within the past 5 years
- a range of teaching experience working in different teaching contexts and teaching different levels
- an appropriate awareness of language and language competence in English sufficient to follow the programme and complete all assessed elements successfully (IELTS Band 8)
- adequate word-processing skills to enable you complete written assignments
- competence in using the internet and e-mail
- access to adequate word-processing, internet and email facilities
Suggested Pre-interview Reading
- Principles of Language Learning and Teaching by H. Douglas Brown (Prentice Hall)
- Principles in Language Teaching by Diane Larsen-Freeman (Oxford University Press)
- Grammar for English Teachers by Martin Parrott (Cambridge University Press) by Scott Thornbury (Macmillan)
- Uncovering Grammar by Scott Thornbury (Macmillan)
The trainers were great! I seriously cannot complain about them. The course was extremely challenging and stressful, but one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, loved it!
The course is one of the best training courses I've ever had in my life, I've learned a lot about teaching. I think this course would be great even for executive in companies to manage their teams.
Help for Jobs
If you're looking for a job as an English teacher either in the Mexico or abroad, you're on the right track taking the course with this school. They have seen our staff and trainees use their Cambridge CELTA qualification to go in many different directions with their careers, part-time jobs and hobbies, as well as travels.
o First-time teachers have gotten jobs teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) to adults in language schools and international companies in Mexico and other locations in different countries overseas.
o Experienced teachers have also taken the course and used their CELTA qualification for professional development and to expand their repertoire to teaching ESL students within their schools as well as to travel and work abroad.
o Some teachers have also used the CELTA certificate to get volunteer and paid work teaching immigrant students in the the UK and the US and some have taught ESL in refugee camps overseas.
The possibilities for types of employment, types of students and job locations are endless.
Whatever it is you choose to do, taking CELTA at this school prepares you for all the above possibilities and more. Not only does the CELTA give you the practical, hands-on training that you need to be completely prepared and confident to walk into an EFL/ESL classroom anywhere in the world and teach English.
There are several more ways the school helps our teachers find work. It is our aim to make sure that each of our teachers has the ability to find teaching positions where they want, and we are very proud of the places where our teachers go on to work.
With this school the process of getting our teachers the right job starts before the course has even begun. Our trainees write out their CV and bring it with them to the start of the course. Over the last week of the course, our tutors give support to help trainees write their CV to send out to schools. One of the most powerful tools for finding work is the School Database. This is a purpose-built database of information on schools in Mexico and around the world. So whether our trainees wish to teach English in Mexico or China, Barcelona or Isreal, we have listings of all the major (and quite a few minor) schools in the district with contact details including email and postal addresses as well as phone numbers.
With the School Database, our teachers can contact schools directly, bypassing the crowd who can only apply for teaching positions once they have been advertised. The best jobs rarely get advertised on the Internet and are taken by teachers who can apply directly to the principal of a school who does the hiring. Our teachers have access to the right people through the School Database. And access does not stop once a teacher has got their first job; our teachers have access to the School Database as well as job assistance and advice from our tutors for life. Remember, in the ELT profession, which is a versatile international field, you want to make sure your teaching qualification is just as versatile and international! We ensure quality training, experienced staff and long-standing internationally-recognized certification with CELTA. Combined with access to the School Database and our expert assistance in job hunting, you will be well on the way to getting the job you want!
Please note: We do not charge our teachers extra for access to the School Database or to give references. Furthermore, we do not accept payment from schools who wish to employ our graduates. As such, we never accept payment from either our graduates looking for work or the school hiring, and we would be very wary of any teacher training centre which did.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.