School Details - London Highgate
The school offers a beautiful setting for both learners and future teachers of English: a spacious Victorian building with a lovely big garden, located in a quiet historic part of North London. In the summer the garden is used for parties and barbecues, where students can relax and chat with their friends and the managing director Keith Harding will show his managing skills on the barbecue - the perfect antidote to a stressful teacher training course.
On warm days, you may see classes taking place out in the sunshine. There are woods and parks nearby. This popular area of London offers shops and boutiques, restaruants, bars and pubs. Despite this tranquil setting, central London is just 20 minutes away by underground. Ideal for students who don't want the hustle and bustle of the big city but still want to be near the centre of London. The school will provide a professional and caring atmosphere in which to develop your skills.
- 24 fully equipped classrooms
- The latest ELT resources and materials
- An elegant library for private study containing reference and lending sections
- A modern language laboratory for listening and speaking practice
- A computer and video room with the latest English language materials and a wide range of films
- Free e-mail and internet access in our on-site internet cafe
- A student canteen serving excellent home-cooked food
The school has a long history of teacher training. Indeed, it was one of the very first organisations to offer training for English language teachers in the UK.
Since 1977, when we began offering the CELTA course at London Highgate, thousands of teachers have completed our courses and gone on to teach at centres all over the world. This means that not only is this school one of the most experienced and respected teacher training centres in Britain, but we have also built a worldwide reputation, which gives our trainees an invaluable advantage in a competitive international employment market. In addition to this, the school itself is part of an international group with sister schools in four countries, as well as close relationships with numerous schools and agencies worldwide.
A teacher training course will open up opportunities to live and work abroad and meet people from many different backgrounds and cultures. You will find teaching can be challenging, rewarding and immensely enjoyable. London Highgate will provide successful candidates with advice and help in finding jobs abroad and developing their future careers. A small number of candidates may be taken on as teachers at one of these colleges, for example in the busy summer months, thus providing an opportunity to gain immediate first-hand experience of teaching in a recognised international school.
The team of experienced teacher trainers is committed to providing a supportive educational atmosphere with an emphasis on individual attention. All our teacher trainers continue to teach multilingual classes, which means that we have some of the most experienced and well-qualified teachers and teacher trainers in the field.
The school also has excellent facilities and resources, including a specialist ELT Library and bookshop. All resources, such as course books and photocopying, are provided and are included in the course fees. Our courses include:
All applicants, whether native or non-native speakers, must have an awareness of language and a competence in English that enables them to follow the course. Applicants should be at least 18 years old and have either a university degree or a standard of education which would allow entry to higher education.
The Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA)
This is the most widely recognised initial qualification for English Language teachers and provides job opportunities both in the UK and abroad. The primary aim of the course is to provide initial training in TEFL. However, the courses are also very suitable for people who have previous teaching experience but do not have formal TEFL training or qualifications. CELTA courses are available in London Highgate, Brighton and San Francisco and are offered on a part-time as well as full-time basis. Each course includes a minimum of 6 hours' teaching practice. Our courses last four weeks, with classes from Monday to Friday. Each participant at the school in San Francisco also undertakes 35 hours of self-study before the course, using our "Pre-Course Assignment."
This course is designed to help candidates
- Develop an awareness of British or American English and the description of the language and apply these in their professional practice
- Develop an understanding of the contexts within which adults learn English, their motivations and the roles of the teacher and the learner
- Develop familiarity with the principles and practice of effective teaching to adult learners of English
- Develop basic skills for teaching adults in the language classroom
- Develop familiarity with appropriate resources and materials for use with adult learners of English for teaching, testing and for reference
- Identify opportunities for participants' own future development as professionals in the field
There is no final examination as candidates are continuously assessed in three areas: professional development, teaching practice and written assignments. The course is moderated by an external assessor, approved and appointed by Cambridge ESOL. The Cambridge ESOL entry fee is included in the course fees.
Homestay accommodation can be arranged for you by the school. All accommodation is subject to availability. Prices for homestay are as follows:
- Half board (breakfast and dinner) �724/�760 for 4 weeks. (�181/�191 per week low/high season)
- Breakfast only (student must have dinner meals outside the home) �580.00/592.00 for 4 weeks. (�145.00/�149.00 per week depending on the season)
- Self-catering �580.00/592.00 for 4 weeks. (�145.00/�149.00 per week low/high season)
As the CELTA course is an intensive and relatively short course, you will need your privacy to study the single room on half-board basis is recommended for trainees.
Chester House (15 minutes by bus) is only available for trainees who are 18-25 years old. (All fees below include breakfast and dinner but not weekday lunches)
Standard single room (shared bathroom) �884.00 for 4 weeks (�221/�233 per week low/high season)
Superior single room (private bathroom) �1,248.00 for 4 weeks (�312/�329 per week low/high season)
Monday to Friday 9:00 - 17:00
The school was housed in a very nice building and had a lovely garden. The trainers were excellent. They were extremely knowledgeable and made lessons interesting and funny. Both tutors were very approachable and helpful.
The school is in a lovely location and full of useful resources. The trainers were very knowledgable, friendly and helpful.
The school is beautiful, especially the gardens and the course was enjoyable. The trainers were extremely competent and helpful. I feel that I have learnt a lot.
-Cesira Urzi Brancati-
Help for Jobs
Work Placement; Further Career Development with this organisation:
What happens after you successfully complete your course? As a qualified and trained teacher you've learnt your new skills with one of the EFL industry's most respected and leading organisations. Your career and travel opportunities are endless, and we're committed to helping you on your way. Opportunities for employment can exist in all eight of our year-round schools, as well as with our rapidly growing Junior Summer Camp operation. Exciting placements also exist overseas with our global network of partners. All career advice, placement and counseling are included in your course fees, while presentations will take place routinely throughout your course with us.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.