School Details - London Covent Garden
This is an excellent school located in Covent Garden, but positioned within walking distance of four tube stations; Tottenham Court Road Station, Holborn Station, Leicester Square Station. The administration staff and teachers are extremely friendly and always happy to answer your questions.
Not only are the courses of an extremely high standard, but the school itself is very special, with a very large computer room, free internet access and wide variety of electronic materials, a video room and language laboratory, library, bookshop, drinks areas, fully licensed bar and cafeteria...
The school, with over 150 schools worldwide, has a truly international reputation for quality and professionalism.
Over the last 50 years, the school has been at the forefront of teacher training in English language teaching. Many of the most widely used English language course books have also been written by the teachers of the school. During your course you will most likely feel the benefits of this love for language and love of learning for yourself.
The Delta qualification is a balance of theory and practice that will enhance your understanding of the English language, while examining in-depth the principles of effective teaching and the practical skills required for teaching English. Our Cambridge Delta is accredited by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA) at level 7 on the National Qualifications Framework.
Delta consists of three independent modules, making it a flexible way to add to your portfolio of qualifications in a way that suits you and matches your career needs.
• Module One focuses on the background to teaching and learning.
• Module Two focuses on developing professional practice.
• For Module Three, you can choose a specialist option (e.g. English for Special Purposes, 1-1, exam classes).
Module 1: Understanding language, methodology and resources for teaching
You should consider this module if you want to:
• Extend your background knowledge and understanding of language, methodology and teaching resources
• Accredit prior learning and knowledge gained through teaching and experience
Module 2: Developing Professional Practice
You should consider this module if you want to:
• Develop professionally by focusing on your own classroom practice
• Deepen your understanding of language, skills and principles underlying different methodologies and approaches
• Or if you have an MA in ELT/ESOL/Applied Linguistics but want more practical experience
Face-to-face Orientation course
For the Distance Delta Integrated Programme and Distance Delta Module 2 course there is a two week face-to-face Orientation course. This is held in different locations around the world, including the school in London.
Module 3: Extending practice and English language teaching specialisation or language teaching management
You should consider this module if:
• Your current teaching reflects an area of specialisation but you do not currently hold a qualification in it
• You would like to extend your knowledge into a new specialist area where you have no experience
• You already have a Delta or equivalent but want to further your career development through one of the following specialisms:
English for Specific Purposes
English for Academic Purposes
Content and Language Integrated Learning,
Teaching in an English Speaking Environment or Teaching in a Non-English speaking Environment
Teaching Learners Online
Learners with Special Requirements
Language Development for Teachers
• You have a certificate for one Module 3 specialism but wish to certify for more specialisms
Delta courses include a substantial amount of work outside of timetabled hours. This will mostly consist of lesson preparation and written assignments.
DELTA course application procedure
You would need to submit the following information and tasks:
1. The completed application form
2. A lesson plan and lesson evaluation: please send a lesson plan for a lesson you have recently taught. Give clear information at the beginning about the target group/level/context, and state your aims as precisely as possible. Give a thorough account of your procedures in terms of classroom management, patterns of interaction and approximate timings. Be sure to include a copy of any materials. Please also send us your own written evaluation of the effectiveness of the lesson you have described above with particular reference to strengths and weaknesses in your planning and teaching
3. A completed copy of the Language Awareness Task (Included in the application form, available for download at the bottom of the page)
4. An Essay outlining a group of students you have taught, difficulties they faced in the ELT classroom and how you dealt them.
5. References: the names and addresses of two referees who should be familiar with your teaching and, ideally, who have observed your lessons (e.g. your Director of Studies)
6. Teaching Experience: please send a comprehensive but concise list of your teaching experience, starting with your most recent post, giving precise information i.e. names and addresses of school, dates, levels/ages taught, types of class (e.g. General English, FCE etc) and any responsibility post you have held
7. Materials: please send a brief list of published materials you have used consistently or are very familiar with (coursebooks, supplementary books and other materials)
The school's management reserves the right to postpone or cancel any course due to insufficient student numbers or operational problems.
We will acknowledge your application and arrange an interview once we have received your completed form and accompanying tasks. If you are resident outside the UK and unable to attend an interview we will make arrangements for a telephone interview.
Please note that the course price includes the Cambridge ESOL Examination fee of approximately £292.
Homestay with a local host located in zones 2 and 3: Standard single room with breakfast = �160 per week, Standard single room with breakfast & 4 evening meals = �185 per week, Standard single room with breakfast & 7 evening meals = �205
Student residence, self-catering in zone 1: Nido Kings Cross single ensuite = �375 per week (min. 4 weeks); Liberty House single ensuite room (shared kitchen) = �240 per week (min. 2 weeks), single studio room = �295 per week (min. 2 weeks).
Monday to Friday, 09.00 - 16.00
There are six hours of timetabled work every day: three and a half hours are dedicated to input and tutorial work; two and a half hours are spent on teaching practice and feedback
The school and the quality of trainers were excellent all round. The course was extremely demanding but very well taught and now over, a very rewarding experience indeed.
The school was extremely professional and the facilities were excellent. The course is very intensive, really tough and demanding. Our trainers made sure that we were all up to date with the amount of work we had. I am extremely impressed with their professionalism!
The school is very well equipped and all trainees are encouraged to use all the facilities available. The library has a huge number of books covering all TEFL related subjects. All staff are friendly and accommodating. The tutors were great and very supportive - and absolutely brilliant teachers themselves. It was a very positive experience all round. I never thought it was possible to learn this much in such a short period of time.
I thought that the school and the trainers were excellent and had lots to offer. The course was well planned and executed, it was helpful and informative. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to teach and the contact that you get with so many different people from lots of different cultures. I liked the fact that my trainers were very approachable and helpful.
How to Apply
1. Choose the start date which interests you. If you're still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now you will be able to specify later.
2. Register your details with Cactus TEFL (1 minute) to help us track your application.
3. Download the application form and save it on your computer.
4. Complete it offline in your own time
5. Go back to www.cactustefl.com, sign in and submit your completed form.
You can also submit an application by email. We will explain how to do this on the application form. Please contact us if you have any problems with the application procedure.