» The Suzanne Furstner Foundation
Information about the Annual Scholarship
The Suzanne Furstner Foundation Annual Scholarship combines two of Suzanne's greatest passions: TEFL and foreign languages. Running the TEFL department at Cactus, Suzanne was often to be heard laughing and joking on the phone in Spanish with the many schools we work with across Spain and Latin America. She was also studying Italian and had enjoyed some fantastic trips to Italy. It is therefore natural that our Scholarship prize should consist of a TEFL course combined with a language course.
» 2013 Suzanne Furstner Scholarship
The annual scholarship prize is a 4 week Cambridge CELTA course in New York and a 20-hour language course.
- The winner will take a CELTA course and their language course in 2014.
- Please note that all candidates must have native level competence in English.
- The winner will be chosen by a 3-person committee: Helen Quin, Cactus Assistant Director of Studies, Antoinette Bruining, Suzanne Furstner's mother, and Sarah Digon, International Officer at Sussex Down College and prior Cactus TEFL consultant.
» 2013 Scholarship Entry Requirements
The scholarship assignment is to write a maximum of 1000 words on the topic of 'Six Weeks in New York' , to be interpreted in any way entrants choose. In addition to this candidates have to complete a short language awareness task.
The application form for this scholarship will be available on this page from August 1st 2013.
Assignments are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Relevance to the scholarship theme
- Clear reasons why the winning the scholarship would be beneficial for the winner
- Use of clear, accurate and error-free language
- The results of their language-awareness task
Deadline for submission Monday October 1st 2013
The winner will be expected to give interviews to the media on winning the scholarship, write a blog of their course experiences and a post-scholarship-experience piece.
» Previous Scholarships
The winner of the 2012 scholarship is Anna Jones. Please read Anna Jones' piece here.
Read 2011 Scholarship Winner Sarah Chamberlain's piece
Sarah followed a CELTA course in Barcelona, Spain
Scholarship Articles 2010 and Winner Simon
Vittorio Moore's blog
Find out about Simon's CELTA course in San Francisco and his first TEFL job in Italy.
Scholarship Articles 2009 and Winner Tatty Scott's blog
Follow Tatty in her life changing journey on a TEFL course in Milan, Italy.
Scholarship Articles 2008 and Winner Georgina Newcombe's blog
Georgina wrote of her CELTA and Spanish course experience in Playa del Carmen, Mexico.
Scholarship Articles 2007 and Winner Anna Prime's blog
Anna wrote an online journal of her CELTA course and teaching experiences in Seville, Spain.